Sunday, May 15, 2011

Delayed Gratification Mindset

It has been a while since I blogged. I have been extremely busy for the past few weeks and I hardly find time to relax. It’s like having multiple jobs at the same time, I have to work, teach guitar, do up a video trailer, design a website and create a web application. With all this work that I have to handle, I feel like I am wearing out. Every day is the same routine…
But, the thing that kept me moving on is this mindset: Delayed Gratification.

What is delayed gratification?
It is the ability
to wait in order to obtain something that he or she wants, aka 先苦后甜 in Chinese. A simple illustration is, say a man strike 4d and won $1 million. He decided not to spend all the money on things that he wanted immediately, but instead, he invest it into bonds and shares and wait a few years before tapping into it. On the contrary, if he spends all his money, that is called “instant gratification.”

With this mindset of delayed gratification, I have learned to work hard now and not enjoying all of the rewards immediately. But instead, using the rewards to reap even more rewards. There is no doubt that the main reason I am working on multiple projects are for the sake of money. And with the different stream of income coming in, I could have spent more on my wants. But I did not. Instead, I choose to save the additional amount of money that came in. That does not mean I don’t enjoy at all, but I kept it at a minimum.
So why do I want to do that? By saving up first, I can build up a substantial amount of money that acts as my opportunity fund that I can use to invest. It’s like building up my army (capital) to fight and to defend when the time comes (market crash). Imagine not having enough soldiers when your enemy is weak, you miss the opportunity!

Read on how you can do that and apply delayed gratification
Don’t be short sighted, look far ahead and plan beforehand. This will ensure a better future for you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment